R&B newcomer August Alsina has a new visual for his latest single “Downtown,” a soulful, gritty tale of revenge.

“Downtown” is an intimate story of loss and heartache story written by 20-year-old Alsina that details the circumstances of his older brother’s tragic murder.

Alsina, a native of New Orleans, was barely 18 when he received the news.

In “Downtown,” Alsina croons, “Phone just ringing heard a nigga got got/He was over on the East last thing that he heard six shots/He ain’t getting no love from the cops, nobody got caught/Real talk when I heard who it was, my heart near damn stop/Somebody done killed my brother, now I gotta get back, let ‘em know cause a nigga gotta feel that!”

Melvin LaBranch III, 24, was found lying face-down on a sidewalk with a gunshot wound to the head Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010, according to The Times-Picayune.

He was momentarily responsive when authorities arrived on the scene but succumbed to injuries later in a hospital.

Alsina walks through a cemetery in the visual and visits LaBranch’s grave as he plots retribution.

LaBranch’s three daughters, who wore white dresses, made cameo appearances in the visual.

Alsina tapped fellow N’Awlins MC Kidd Kidd as his song’s guest feature. Kidd Kidd didn’t disappoint, rapping, “Once upon a time downtown in the 9 (9th ward), what it don’t mind dyin’/Sworn to a life of crime, was a youngin’ only stood 5’5, big money on his mind/Clothes ain’t wrinkled while his hands on the iron, shot six times run in front of my mom.”

“Downtown” is a definite must watch.

August Alsina’s EP “Downtown: Life Under The Gun” is now available for download on iTunes.

Check out August Alsina “Downtown” below

Sign up to become a member of kollegekidd.com by clicking here.
For Updates, Be sure to Follow kollegekidd.com on Twitter @_KollegeKidd by clicking here.
You can also stay up-to-date by liking kollegekidd.com FaceBook Page by clicking here

This entry was posted in Kidd Music and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to August Alsina Tells Story Of Brother’s Murder In ‘Downtown’ Official Music Video Featuring Kidd Kidd

1. big mac w/cheese says:

dope

2. Ladasha says:

I had watched his video to downtown and its just sad what happen to his older brother but i do understand where he coming from. thats all i gotta say

• jamie says:

I love u and ur music I am ur biggest fann but I am so sorry about brother please stay alive people think u will die in too more years but I think u can do better

3. Dreonia says:

i had watched this video and i falled in loved with it instanly.i hope august is holding on strong for he lost im pretty sure his brotehr would want him to good even if hes gone.
    R.I.P Melvin

4. i am so sorry about your lost and i hope u fell better and keep onn with your music.

5. im so sorry about your lost keep your head up and focus on your career. also keep singing because you have a amazing voice… strong voice.. R.I.P melvin

6. I’M so sorry about your loss keep your head up and stay strong. Also keep on singing cuz you have a great voice.. R.I.P MELVIN.

7. MzIndependent says:

I’m so sorry for your loss… I hope you and your family and them beautiful little girls are doing better but, man you are very talented and some of these R&b singers about to be In trouble keep doing what you do because you got a great voice I love it!

8. leanna says:

dame that crazy wat happened to hi older broth R.I.P to Melvin LaBranch and i love this video <3

9. Rajanae' says:

Man When I First Heard The Song “Dont Forget About Me” From Beginning To End It Made Me Drop A Tear. Man I Couldnt Believe It!!But I Love That Song.. I Hope I Get To See You Some Day August Alsina !! <3 <3 Big Fan Since Day 1 !

10. Anonymous says:

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

11. Anonymous says:

sexyyyyyyyyy

12. Earnestforevergirl66 says:

I got children his age,im old enuff to b this young mans mother but i love his music my daughter introduced me to his music and his story is sad and moving i feel in love with his story keep Ur head up young brother u r on ur way to great things and keep on grinding. Rest in peace melvin.

13. rodney says:

we share similar stories brother! my mans put me on AA because of that. i shed tears listening to your album, im right with you. keep making that sh*t that people with nothing can relate to. we need it. youre our voice! stay strong!

14. jadababymybaeAUGUSalsina says:

I am so sorry for your lost august can u plz respond to my comment and u r cute and I love u

15. Dum that’s sh*t is crazy

16. Alondra says:

I Love August Alsinam Really diggin your Music, Love the fact how you talk bout you and yor family and Not money or b***hes, You is the Next Trey songz, and Im really Sorry bout your Brotha

17. Zawanna says:

I love August Alsina…..and after reading the story about his brother then watching the video…I couldn’t do anything but cry. The part where they showed his nieces is what got me….my eyes were watery during the whole thing but when they showed them i couldnt hold it back anymore.. :(

18. Myasiaa Dawson says:

I love you and hope you are keeping your head up. Your my inspiration and always will be. I net your brother is proud for you.

19. mzsexy143 says:

I Hope u stay strong 4 mel. ILY august stay strong. R.I.P MEL

20. Mrs.Alsina says:

This man is an extremely talented individual. It is a blessing that August has turned his pain into a Testimony for the World to hear! This traumatic event could have been viewed negatively, but he relied on his God given talent to change his life for the better!! Being able to hear this story has also inspired me to be the best person I can be. Keep motivating and inspiring your fans August…Thank you for sharing your story!

21. Day after my birthday… </3

22. nikayla says:

I love this song,but it’s sad.

23. William says:

Ride on ‘em! Eye for an eye…

24. trinity_got_bands says:

srry for your lost and i liked mama love b.i.p melivn labranch

25. Jasmine Miller says:
  26. Charnesha L Davidson says:

OMG! I am so sorry about your lost; I know what it feel like to be hurt so bad. that you will do anything to get that person back. I wish you luck and just pour your heart out though your music don’t do nothing to the people that murdered your brother, because to wrong don’t make a right. Just live your experience though the music, so your experience can help others. Whatever don’t kill you makes you stronger. #R.I.P Melvin Labranch III

27. angel says:

I love your music nd this video touched my heart I kno how u feel to lose your love one… I love u nd R.I.P august big brother

28. dayarna says:

sorry for ur lost august keep ur head up i know how u feel i lost my mama nov 10 2013
    R.I.P MELIVN LABRANCH III

29. Jaleecia Hughes says:

August alsina stay strong keep it head up god is always the person to call for you lee me in your prayers I keep u and ur family in my prayers I am so sorry for ur loss stay strong and I think u are the realist raper ever cause u gust don’t rap or sing for no reason u tell
    About ur life or what’s really going on I listen to every one of ur songs keep the good work up and take care of your nieces I will pray for you Melvin will never forget about u.

30. Jasmine says:

Ilove u August..sorri for ur lost

31. zee says:

Hy august heard about yoh bro I also had a bro who was shot when he was 16 hope u keepin strong don’t have fear be brave because u lovE this sh*t love all your songs hope u continue delivering hot tracks love benedicition I’m your biggest fan ehat u do for your brothers children is awesome may god bless u and melvin R.I.P. Wish u all the best braaaaaaa u got taste in life live the life the way u planned it to be wish and pray say what u wanna say love your song rolE moDEL of The Year AUGUST ALSINA

32. zee says:

Show them hater what u got in you bag full of tricks show them flames then they won’t be the same put them on pause put them on mute and reject it don’t accept it and interject from zee lots of love BIBLE is the key to succes

33. AshleyBraylock says:

I love this song, this song go hard R.I.P Mel

34. kajuandrawright says:

august alsina i love yo song i remember wen took a pic with you i was crying and you gave me a hug and a kiss and you gave me yo shrit and yo jacket and one of your tape

35. lynnae says:

August I love u and I hope you find the person who killed your brother and keep doing what you do best and do you

36. bennija wills says:

U sexy boo

37. Kayla says:

I fill ur Pain and ur video is sad

38. Reggie b. says:

I once lived in uptown New orleans, as a matter of fact my uncle plays zydeco down in the french quatre periodically. I don’t know if you heard of sun pie barnes but when I watched the “downtown” video it brought back memories ya heard me. Keep ya head up. I’m truly truly a fan of the art visual and musical. Keep doing what you do

39. Anonymous says:

40. Jameelah says:

Omg I sooo sorry August your soo strong to deal with that and make a video of it I think your brother is soo proud of you keep it up from tour biggest fan#1fan ya Yess love you August and R.I.P MELVIN

41. i love how august actually tells the truth in his songs.

42. Pooh says:

Keep ur head up homie..I lost my oldest brother as well and i found out on da bus ride 2 school…It still hurts cuz he tried 2 call b4 he was killed…R.I.P Mel & My bro Bone

43. dkarlaangulo says:

I actually cried

44. ruby says:

August alsina its past now…jus wanna say i love benediction and u lukin so cute…..ah wanna b a sis tu u and yur broda’s children….i luh u